Sunday, February 22, 2009

A cold snowy Saturday

One of my favorite things to do here in Chicago is going downtown and
doing alley ministry. I bring my bible, a bag of clothes and hats, and
rolling tobacco and papers to the men and women who are homeless in
Chicago. On days like today, I bring a thermos which I fill with warm
coffee and a sleeve of paper cups and I go down various streets and
stop to talk with those who are marganilized in society. I carefully
evaluate each situation, because some of these folks are drinkers and
some have more debilitating addictions than others. I've learned that
over the last few years, helping others allows me to realize my
calling in life. Sitting with these men and women and talking with
them about their life while giving them the comfort of a warm drink
and/or a smoke helps grant them solace in the hectic world we all live
in.

Today I was fortunate to help a friend. This friend is a very busy
person, who between studies, multiple jobs, a hectic family life, and
normal social obligations has always found time to help me out when I
am in need. I returned the favor today by cleaning their apartment
which is far less than what they deserve for all they do for me, but
my ability to take the time to clean and organize their living space
is somethig which can help make their life feel more smooth and can
bring order to their hectic lifestyle.

So why am I telling you what I do? I think it is really a situation of
doing what we are capable of doing rather than what we merely are able
to do. I regularly hear my peers, people my age rather than other
seminarians, talking about how they wish they had time to make a
difference in someone's life. I think that over the course of any
given day, many opportunities arise, yet so frequently we fail to see
the opportunity. Saint Francis used to say, "do what is necessary,
then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible."
Know you are all in my heart, thoughts, and prayers

Be blessed,

Dennis <><